Thursday, June 30, 2011

A Novel Sort of Fatigue

Well, this is a new sensation.
In the past three years I've finished two novels, both 38K-word middle grades. Now I'm reaching the end of an adult sci fi, which I'm expecting to be about 67K words.

The rhythm feels different from the previous two, and each day I can't believe there's more to write. Of course, 67K isn't all that long for a novel, but to me it's massive.

I've set myself a strict deadline of July 15 for completing the draft. At my current rate of output, that's reasonable, but I find myself pushing through brain fog that thickens with each passing day. How very thrilled I will be when I can move on to the next stage! Hope I like what I see when I come out the other end.

4 comments:

  1. Keep plugging away~ you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's tough! But you'll feel amazing when you reach that goal - and if you keep on target, you've only got a couple of weeks to go...that's good motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the part when you get to where you think you're totally stuck, can't do any more, and then you come out of that brain fog. Words just flow until the end and your first draft is done.

    Congratulations on making it this far! I'm sure you'll come out of the fog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job!

    Hey, you won the giveaway on my blog! I need you to email me your address (khashway(at)hotmail(dot)com) so I can send you your signed copy of The Pea in Peanut Butter.

    ReplyDelete